Friday, May 12, 2006

Yesman or Yesmam?

Upon starting this blog I announced that I had always felt like an average man, never excelling at anything in particular, but mostly managing to meet the grade. It occurred to me this week that is not entirely true, as defining myself as an average man means I'm excluding the stereo-typical, socially acceptable character traits of half the population. Now, I don't mean I'm suddenly going to come out and announce I actually like parading round in a skimpy bikini and sparkly earrings, but I was considering typically male or female characteristics and realised I have a fair mix of the two.

The obvious first example is football - I don't hate the game by any means and when I'm naively given license to run on to a pitch, I give it my all and really enjoy pretending to know what I'm doing - I've never been able to kick a ball straight or do more than two keep-me-ups, ever. When it comes to watching it, I'll show passing interest in the premiership, but always have to stop myself from asking stupid questions and I never know who the players are or who's top of the table.

Dancing - I love dancing - and singing. I 'spose I was lucky to have grown up with dance culture as it was more socially acceptable for blokes to dance, given they were off their face. We used to go to an under 18 dance night* and I actually had to pretend I had taken something to get away with loving it so much. Singing is also a deeply unmasculine thing to do, if it isn't rugby songs or "eye of the tiger" at karaoke. It has always been a huge disappointment to me that I'm appallingly bad at both - my dancing is like an epileptic having electro-shock therapy and my voice never broke properly so I can start out manfully mumbling along and suddenly break into a glass-shattering bee-gee-shaming wail.

Lists - I can't make lists: "Name your top five films", oh, er, that really good one, you know? That one with that bloke... Rubbish - it seems inate to every other bloke I speak to, never understood it.

There's many more examples, but it's late. So you see this blog is really the idle musings of an average person, rather than an average man, which means I again find myself in the never-world of being able to appreciate both male and female passions, but never able to fully immerse myself in either.

*"Creations come alive - coming at ya like a tractor"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home