Thursday, May 04, 2006

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Being a distinctly unopinionated person has always made me feel like a very uninteresting human being, but strangely enough, this has never been my direct experience. I have always found that I have somehow managed to end up being in the "coolest" and most interesting gang at school and university. Never as a one of the top guys or leaders mind you, but always very close to the action, usually as a confidant to the central proponents, which I have also found rather odd, as I am also not the most discreet person I know.

I am unsure why this happens, but I liken it to being a human version of Coldplay or perhaps Travis - whenever you ask someone their opinion on these bands, the overwhelming response will be, "they're alright, 'spose." Hence they get to the top of radio play lists, because most other bands are either loved or loathed, so their score on the radio survey will fluctuate dramatically, rather than the good solid average performance which reassures the jittery radio controllers and results in the pap being churned out 24/7.* I guess I'm not seen as a threat, but not geeky or controversial enough to expel from the clique.

This situation has occurred yet again. My new manager, who was keen to have me on his team at the start of this year despite never doing any actual work for him, suddenly asked to "have a word" in a back room. Fearing that he'd finally seen through my charade and was gonna demand that I shape up or ship out, I was mentally preparing my excuses, only to realise that he was swearing me to the utmost secrecy** and that he was planning a break away research group he wanted me and a select few to join - a clearly preposterous idea that a small group of scientists could set up on their own and match the might and investment power of an international company. Of course, I accepted immediately. I now know why groups like the Free Masons exist - it's a great feeling to be invited into something, no matter how ridiculous it may appear to be.

The inner ring beckoned - we could now make knowing nods to one another in group meetings and organise clandestine rendez-vous - my Yesman credentials had served me well, yet again.

* Credit to Nick for that radio insight
** My discretion again in question as I have now blabbed it on this site - hey ho.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bleuberry said...

I love your explanation of your place in your social dynamic... it's great. I always find this sort of self-realisation interesting! I hpoe you post stories about your "clandestine" meetings.. hehehe :-)

11:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home