Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Camp David (Saturday)

As I mentioned yesterday, I met Dave for the first time on Friday night and was instantly bowled over by his joie de vivre. Unfortunately, I happened to mention this to my girlfriend and rather unsubtlely, owing to sinking a few ales, managed to hint that his positivity contrasted with her negativity and hence none of her friends were celebrating her birthday with her - not a wise move in a two-person tent.

But in a way, I couldn't help thinking it was true. I mean, in my case, I rarely invite people to celebrate my birthday, as I feel I don't have the necessary postivity to pull it off. If someone says they can't make it or suggests something else, the whole thing seems a waste of time and usually ends in me shrieking Alan Partridge-style "oh, just forget it!"
My approach is rather more:
  1. find people who are already going out;
  2. tag along;
  3. then slyly mention its my birthday

I find it makes for much more stress free event all round.

As the day went on, more and more of Dave's cheery friends started arriving, some with equally cheery girlfriends, some with full expedition camping gear, some with nothing but a coat and some beer - but all with one purpose to celebrate a mate's birthday. It was an impressive sight to have 15 people sitting round several pub garden benches, having descended on this tiny Suffolk village from all over the country at the whim of a friend. It made me feel rather proud to be a part of it, but also a little reflective that perhaps if I had been a little more positive and enthusiastic in my life, maybe I could have reaped the same benefits*.

*Perhaps went a bit moral and patronising there, but the thought was genuine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home